Sunday, March 25, 2012

Two summers ago one of my best friends Dave Bernardi aka Zesty D, had his girlfriend in town visiting from Michigan. After a glorious day at one of my favorite beaches (Tablerock in Laguna Beach, CA) we decided to go back to his place and BBQ. His girlfriend Lindsay made an interesting suggestion and said we should make s’mores. Really? S’mores? It sounded delicious but it’s something I would have never thought of because I guess I always just associated it with camping which is something I’ve only done twice in my life. I was pregnant at the time and since I couldn’t enjoy the refreshing taste of an ice cold beer, why not treat myself to a warm, chocolaty, gooey s’more? “Yes, that’s a great idea! Let’s do it!” After our bbq’ing extravaganza, we busted out the marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers and turned up the grill. As Dave was taking orders on how crispy we wanted our roasted marshmallows, Lindsay yelled out “double up the chocolate!” Another glorious idea! I already knew this girl was a keeper and I was a bit sad she lived in Michigan and not in California with us. After he made our s’mores we all partook in the grub fest and watched each other struggle to keep our faces and fingers clean as the melted chocolate and marshmallow came pouring out of the sides.  Oh my! Why am I not eating more s’mores in my life?? From that point forward, I knew I needed to keep s’mores in my yearly rotation of sinful treats I should enjoy every so often. I’m proud to say I have since then!
There are a few different ways to make s’mores but traditionally, you take a large marshmallow and toast it over a camp fire. Since my camping days are far and few between, I substituted a camp fire for a kitchen torch and used small marshmallows instead of one large marshmallow.
 S'Mores
  • 2 graham crackers
  • 12 small marshmallows
  • ½ Hershey bar
Directions:
  • Break off 1 square of graham cracker
  • Add 3 small pieces of Hershey chocolate bar
  • Add small marshmallows
  • Use kitchen torch to crisp the marshmallows and melt the chocolate
  • Grab another graham cracker square and place 3 small pieces of Hershey chocolate bar on top and use the kitchen torch to melt the chocolate.
  • Place the second graham cracker with chocolate face down, on top of the other graham cracker with marshmallow on it.
  • Press together and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment